To start your life in Singapore you need a visa. A Singapore visa is not that hard to obtain, and generally your employer will do most of the work for you. The visa you need will depend on your circumstances. Here we summarise the requirements for Visas and Immigration for Singapore.
Singapore Employment Pass (EP): Q1, P2 and P1
For most moving to Singapore, this is what you need. The EP permits foreigners to work and live in Singapore. As long as you still are employed the visa is renewable. If you hold an Employment Pass it is also possible to apply for Permanent Residency (PR) in Singapore.
Key minimum requirements:
- A ‘well-established’ company with an office in Singapore and has to sponsor the work visa
- Degree educated from an established institution
- AND/OR 3 years of relevant work experience
- Offered a job with a fixed monthly income of more than $3,000 (as of 1st January 2012) for a Q1 Visa, $4,500 for a P2 Visa and $8,000 for a P1 Visa
Recently, it has become more challenging to get an Employment Pass for those who are on lower salaries with growing rejection rates. Consult your employer on this matter.
This visa is intended for family members/spouse of a work pass holder. Holders of a Dependant’s Pass are also permitted to work in Singapore once their potential employer issues a letter of consent.
Long Term Visit Pass
This visa is similar to the Dependent pass but must be linked to an Employment Pass holder who is earning more than $4,000 per month.
Entrepreneur Pass (EntrePass)
Allows foreign entrepreneurs to work and stay in Singapore for a period of up to 1 year. EntrePass holders can travel in and out of Singapore unlimited number of times. Entrepass is renewable on a yearly basis.
- Viable business plan
- $50,000 as a paid-up capital for the new business
- Must be willing to spending $100,000 for the first 12 months of the business
- Must be willing to hire 2 local Singaporeans within the first 12 months
Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)
This is a more flexible type of VISA that is not tied to any particular employer and will allow you to stay in Singapore for up to 6 months without having a job. However, the PEP is mostly aimed at people in manager or executive positions with a salary of $12,000 per month for those who hold a P1 Employment Pass. For foreign-based professionals the minimum requirement is a fixed salary of $18,000 per month with your previous employer.
Please note that this is a summarised version of Visas and Immigration for Singapore: for the full details visit the Ministry of Manpower (MOM).